Besides the Point-to-Point Support Package (PPSP) in February 2020, eligible taxi drivers and private-hire car drivers can also look forward to the new Self-Employed Person Income Relief Scheme (SIRS) introduced by Ministry of Manpower (MOM) to tide them over this period of economic uncertainty brought about by the COVID-19 outbreak.
Under the SIRS scheme, eligible Self-Employed Person (SEP) will receive three quarterly cash payouts of $3,000 each in May, July and October 2020.
Who Is Eligible For SIRS?
To receive the cash payout, Singaporean SEPs must meet all of the following criteria:
- Started work as an SEP on or before 25 March 2020.
- Do not also earn income as an employee.
- Earn a Net Trade Income of no more than $100,000.
- Live in a property with an annual value of no more than S$13,000.
- Do not own two or more properties.
- SEPs who are married must not own two or more properties with their spouse and their assessable income of his/her spouse do not exceed S$70,000.
How To Apply for the SIRS?
According to MOM, Singaporean SEPs aged 37 and above in 2020 and who declared positive SEP income (trade income must be a positive amount, ie ability to generate regular income) to the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore or CPF Board for the work year 2018 do not need to apply. They will be automatically notified of their eligibility via letter and SMS, and will receive the first scheme payout in May 2020.
SIRS: Applications start 27 April 2020.
Visit www.ntuc.com.sg/SIRS to check if you auto-qualify. If yes, you do not need to apply. If you need to apply, check the website for things to prepare.
You may view information or get updates on SIRS in MOM website here.